As a fund-raiser I would like to have a way to scan a list of potential donors and quickly identify the most likely to donate to my campaign.
The initial idea for Revup software was to produce a data analytics tool for political fundraising. Specifically, to show the affinity between the candidate and prospective donors. When I joined the company there was no direct competitors in the space, so the product was breaking new ground. The existing design I inherited was somewhat confusing and not intuitive.
My first step was to understand what the problem we were trying to solve was. After several meetings with different fund-raisers and campaign finance directors I held several brainstorming sessions with the product manager, and we focused in on a direction, “a three-tiered discovery of a prospective donor’s history”.
Tier 1 - list showing only the necessary information the fund-raiser needs to decide if they want to see more.
Tier 2 - Revealing more donation information.
My role: Product Design Lead
Brainstorming to wire-framing to user testing to final design and iconography.
Tier 3 - Revealing all donation information.
This became the foundation of all the Revup products. With this direction I was able to draft a user journey and preliminary architecture. With wire frames in hand the next step was to work out the flow based upon the original user journey with the PM. We made a few modifications to the user flow and at the same time made a preliminary list of future features. Several different visual designs were generated and subsequently user tested, the outcome was clear, and although not as contemporary as I had envisioned it was a solid design that enabled the user to have an intuitive experience. There are quite a few features contained in the web app shown, not explained in this case study, links to these are below. Oh and I also redesigned the company logo.
Ranking Screen - Displaying the first two tiers of discovery.
For the final design I used a combination of color and basic visual design, dominate and subordinate objects for orientation and to help guide the eye to the important information. All of the iconography was custom made in Illustrator and then converted to an icon font via the on line tool at fontastic.me.